Wednesday 7 September 2011

Microtec ECU up and running

We received the Mircotec ECU from Ducshop today. I carefully followed the instructions to calibrate the TPS. The bike strung to life! Here are a few pictures of the two units.

Microtec ECU on left and Nemesis on Right
Again, Mircotec on left and Nemesis on right. The Microtec is much smaller.
I love it when I see this on a product!


So here is a quick and dirty on my experience with the two units. So far.

Hardware: The Mircotec is smaller than the Nemesis and much more toward the size of the OEM Ducati units. I am guessing it makes it lighter. The Microtec also comes with the heat sink already attached which is handy, and its got Microtec machined into it, cool! Being smaller it will mean more air in the airbox where the ECU is located on the Beta EVO.

Connecting up: Pretty much the same, except the Mircotec does not have an extra screw hole for the heat sink to be grounded. I put the grounding wire under one of the mounting bolts. The USB wire on the Mirotec is pretty much the same with a smaller connector, but does not come with the neat flashing lights to show you its connected like the Nemesis.

Software: This is the deal breaker for me. Having used the Nemesis software for some time, I found the Mircotec version to be extremely similar. But is is infinately more polished. An example is the linear setting of the TPS, it was two button presses on the Microtec, rather than entering values corresponding to the settings on the Nemesis. Editing the map data proved easier with tabs for each of the maps (Fuel, advance etc). Also it puts you straight into edit mode rather than having to select it. Very nice.

Maps: Well I guess this is my only issue so far. The Nemesis map data I have is not compatible with the Microtec software, probably because the Mircotec is significantly newer. Bummer! I think there is an conversion program somewhere. I just lined up the two maps on the screen of my PC and changed a copy of the map provided by Ducshop to roughly reflect my settings from our last good run on the dyno, and with the lamba probes working.

Now can we get to a dyno before the weekend to find out if the whole exercise has been worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment