Monday 9 April 2012

2012 BEARS Nationals Rd 1 - Eastern Ceek Saturday




Saturday 7 April, Eastern Creek


Qualifying
I got seven flying laps in. The traffic was terrible, and I only got one clearish lap in, that was my final one, a 1.45.522. The extra power from the Beta EVO was helpful, but the SC0 compound rear I had choosen was showing some cold tearing. After talking to David Fuller I put some more air into the tyre to try and make it work harder, 25PSI on the warmer. The SC1 front was looking fantastic and holding up well. My time put me 17th in the pack but over two seconds down on top F3 competitor Scott Rinaldis from Queensland, who did a 1:43!

BEARS race 1
17th grid position is great place to start from being on the outside of the grid. As I expected everyone bunched up well nice and tight into turn one, I kept the gas on to go wide. I found myself 11th into turn two and right on Scott Rinaldis's tail. Out of three I got a great drive to over take him into four.  Ahead I could see Gerald Verhagen and my Bill Shanahan fighting tooth and nail. Scott got an awesome drive out of turn twelve to come clawing past me over the line at the start of lap three. Thinking I would chase him I to pick up my times did not really work out as I found myself in a dog fight with my old F3 sparing partner  John Price on his BMW S1000RR. I finished 12th and 2nd in F3. Happy to be going quicker. The rear tyre again was cold tearing, checking the pressure just off track showed it hanging in the 28PSI range is which is top temp for grip. Bugger. I decided to forgo my first unlimited race and get an SC2 rear fitted. 

Fastest lap: 1:44.185
Fastest rolling lap: 1:43.600
Ultimate lap: 1:43.055
Max speed: 242.3@7965RPM

Here is the video care of John Riley.




BEARS race 2
With a new rear tyre on I took my time in the warm up lap scrub it in. Its been a few years since going straight out on a new tyre, I slowly increased the lean angles until by turn eight and nine I had full crank angle going. My grid position twelve is not one of my favorites being on the inside against the pit wall. Starting against the wall has the tendancy to get the door closed on you into turn one. As I launch I push inward on a slow track to try and get some space. It works well but I get baulked into turn two, with at least two guys going past me. Lap one I finish in 13th, and its two seconds slower than my opening lap in race one. As the race goes on, John Riley slips past, as do two F1 bikes to give me a finishing position of 16th, with a fastest lap on lap three. The big bikes are really holding me up around the back of the circuit.

Fastest lap: 1.45.150
Fastest rolling lap: 1:44.948
Ultimate lap: 1.44.279
Max Speed: 247.3@8123RPM

Chasing Scott Rinaldis (49) And John Riley (91)


Unlimited race 2
 I wanted to try this race out and see if I could get some faster laps in. That did not work very well, but I did get some some great sector times. That showed with my ultimate lap coming down by over half a second. I started 30th and finished 27th. The tyres were working really well, and I set my fastest top speed I've ever seen on the db1 - 248.6kmh.

Fastest lap: 1.45.983
Fastest rolling lap: 1.45.289
Ultimate lap: 1.43.656
Max speed: 248.6@8172RPM

Ready to go out... Thanks to Julanne for the pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment